Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Are you prepared?

 Our lives in Texas were much different than here in Iowa.  We had land, a nice garden, farm animals and were fairly self sustained.  He had a solar system for our water and a wood stove to heat the house and a whole house backup generator.  We kept gas and propane on hand along with food and feed for the animals. I felt safe and if, God forbid, something happened in the world we would be okay.  Here in Iowa I just don't feel that way.  I feel very unsecure here.  The winters are extreme and we have no way of keeping warm if the power goes out for an extended period of time.  We don't have land so we can't go cut down trees for wood fuel, and we don't have the land to hunt on if we need food.  

Looking back on our moved here there are many days I regret giving up what we had to come up here.  I know if was God's will for it to happen but that doesn't make me feel secure with everything that is going on in the world.  We did bring all out food with us but that will only last so long.  I am trying to learn to grow food in the basement but I can't grow enough to keep us alive over a winter.  I plan on expanding my garden this year and can lots of veggies.  I really want to fence off the whole property so we can get chickens and let them free-range.  Whenever I mention this to Jon and MIL I get crazy looks from them.  I want to get a few milk goats or a milk cow....that gets me crazy looks.  I just want to be proactive instead of waiting for all hell to break loose before we see what we should have done.  

My problem is getting my husband on board with this.  I think he was burned out from our time in Texas and all the work we did there and nothing bad happened.  I can understand that because I felt the same.  When you spend years preparing for bad things to happen and nothing does you begin to feel like it was all a waste of time. Since Biden got elected it seems like everything has accelerated to the point where we can't ignore what is happening in the world and think everything will be okay and nothing is going to happen.  So many people have normalcy bias and my MIL is one of them.  She thinks we are crazy to stock food and get a wood stove and expand the garden and fence the yard for animals......etc.  She just thinks things will go on the way they always have and we are just looking for problems that won't happen.  

So what is the solution to my predicament?  I feel scared and I feel like my husband doesn't get it.  Whenever I mention doing any of these things to be more prepared he dismisses me and my suggestions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life sucks!

 So Jon goes to this church weekend thing and comes back an rah rah rah and life is great and why can't we all just be happy and it make...