Monday, November 28, 2016

How do we cope with the loss of a loved one?

It has been a tough year and a half for our family.  My dad died on August 21, 2015, my mom died on June 19, 2016 on Father's Day.  Jon's grandmother died on November, 27, 2016 and my boxer Chloe died today, November 28, 2016.  Now I know there are those that would say I shouldn't include my dog in with family members but I would have to disagree with them.  She was very much a part of our family, she had been my dog for 11+ years so life will be very different without her around.  
As I mourned the loss of my Chloe this morning it kind of hit me how much loss we have had to deal with in such a short period of time.  To say it has been difficult would be an understatement.  How does one learn to live without their beloved family member?  How much loss can a person or family take?  I wish I had an answer for that question. Today I feel completely overwhelmed with grief and sorrow.  It just seems to wash over me and I can hardly catch my breath.  My head hurts from crying and all I want to do is curl up in bed and forget everything.  Unfortunately I don't have that luxury.  The animals are not going to feed themselves and someone has to milk the goats so that is out of the question.  Life goes on at least that is what I am told.  I guess I will have to learn to cope somehow, it won't be easy but then again the last year and 4 months have been anything but easy. I thought I had made progress after Mom and Dad died but losing Chloe today seems to have set me back quite a bit. I feel like I am starting over again with the feelings of loss and grief, of sorrow and sadness.  I knew I was going to lose Chloe soon, her health had declined pretty rapidly in the last few months.  The best estimate of her age was 13 to 14 years so she was quite old for a boxer. She lived a very long life but I don't think you really ever get "ready" to lose someone or something you love.  Even though I knew her life was going to come to an end soon I was still devastated when she died this morning.  The saying "this too shall pass" keeps running through my mind. I know I will be sad for a while but life does go on.  There are animals to feed and gardens to grow and life will go on but it sure won't be the same.  It hasn't been the same since Mom and Dad died but I have learned to adapt to a new normal and I know I will do the same for Chloe.   
  For my Chloe Image may contain: dog and indoor
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life sucks!

 So Jon goes to this church weekend thing and comes back an rah rah rah and life is great and why can't we all just be happy and it make...