Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Why can't we use the correct words correctly anymore?



This morning I was reading an interesting article on the cycles of civil war. It was a good article until I got to this sentence. 


" The phone lines were cut so that no one could call for help and many blacks were forced to flea seeking help, but they were killed on the spot. " https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/world-news/civil-unrest/the-cycle-of-civil-unrest-martial-law/

Can anyone spot the problem with this sentence? Flea instead of Flee. WOW! This isn't the first time I have read an article and found misspellings and/or incorrect use of words but it drives me CRAZY!! If you are going to go through the trouble to write up an article for a blog or magazine can't you at least proof read it to make sure you are spelling words correctly or using the correct word? I think the one that makes me the most crazy is weather instead of whether or maybe there instead of their. Have we  stopped caring about grammar, punctuation and spelling?  Now I am no authority when it comes to these things, I am terrible with commas. I always put them where I think they belong and don't put them where they do belong but at least I try. The fact that these articles get published with these errors is fascinating to me. I guess there are no more editors to proof read and correct them before they get published and the author either doesn't have the time, the inclination or the ability to see their mistakes before they send them out for the general public to read. I know it is probably being nick-picky but DANG!! If little ol' GED holding me can go through the trouble to look up a word, to see if I am using it correctly or have it spelled correctly why can't the the authors do the same?

I thought of this today because I was reading a Facebook post and a woman was talking about her dog. She said her dog needs hydrotherapy but wouldn't be "aloud" to go unless it was up to date on it's vaccinations. ALOUD! REALLY! The definition of aloud is audibly; not silently or in a whisper:
"he read the letter aloud" http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/
That took me about a minute to look up.
The correct word is allowed- To let do or happen; permit:
The Free Dictionary.
I am now done with this public service announcement a.k.a. the rant of the day. People please proof read before your publish it could save a life.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Life sucks!

 So Jon goes to this church weekend thing and comes back an rah rah rah and life is great and why can't we all just be happy and it make...