Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Exercise is the key

 I've been feeling mighty low lately.  The move here to Iowa has been more of a challenge than I thought it would be and now with the time change......geez!  As someone who has dealt with depression in the past I kind of understand it.  I have taken antidepressants in the past but didn't like the side effects so I have done research to find out how to deal with it myself without taking medication.  Exercise is the answer.  Yesterday was a particularly tough day for me.  I spend a good portion of the morning crying for absolutely no reason with all kinds of negative thoughts running thru my mind . I know exercise helps me feel better but actually getting up and doing something is difficult but I made myself get on the elliptical machine yesterday while everyone else napped and what a difference it made.  I only worked out for about 35 minutes but it was time well spent.  I got off the machine sweaty but feeling so much better and the rest of my day was much more productive with no more crying.  Even this morning I feel better partly because I slept most of the night.  Anyone who has dealt with depression knows sleep can be a big problem.  Some with depression sleep all the time but some, like me, can't sleep.  I am NOT a morning person at all, never have been, so getting up a 5 in the morning is not normal for me.  But when you can't sleep, being awake 5am happens and then I'm tired all day and that makes the depression worse.   With snow in the forecast for the next few days getting outside won't be much of an option and the sun will set at 5 in the evening so I know getting some exercise every day will become even more important to me to keep me on an even keel.  

If you are dealing with depression I know the thought of exercising seems like a lot to ask but PLEASE give it a try.  I'm telling you it will help so much!  It might even help you get off those antidepressants you are taking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life sucks!

 So Jon goes to this church weekend thing and comes back an rah rah rah and life is great and why can't we all just be happy and it make...