Thursday, November 11, 2021

Veteran's Day

 On this day, Veteran's Day, I want to take a minute to thank every man and woman that served our country in the military.  My dad was a Vietnam Vet, my brother served in the Navy, my mom served in the Air Force, my step-son and his wife, step-daughter and her husband all served in the Air Force. My other son-in-law is currently serving in the Army.  My husband served almost 30 years in the Air Force so I have been around the military my whole life and have to say it is the most rewarding experience.  I don't know what life is like without the military influence in it.  There have been times where dealing with the military has been frustrating and has made me quite angry but, overall, my life has been blessed just by being around it.  I feel sorry for those who've never had that experience.  

Today is a day to reflect on the blessings this country has because of the sacrifices our military has made.  Living the military life hasn't always been easy.  We've moved a lot and had to deal with the bureaucracy that is the government but I wouldn't change it for the world.  The government has reneged on a lot of promises that were made when Jon enlisted and that has been incredibly aggravating but we are still blessed.  We lived a great life because of what the military has done for us.  

I watched an episode of Glenn Beck where he was talking to a couple young women who fled Afghanistan after Biden pulled out the troops.  There are a lot of our military that are sad and angry about what happened over there and how it was handled.  They feel their time was wasted along with all the lives that were lost fighting a war that never seemed to end.  These young women wanted to thank the military for allowing them to live a life they never would have if not for the military presence in the country.  They were able to go to school and get an education something that would not have happened.  The Taliban doesn't allow girls to go to school, or work, or vote, or participate in any decisions in their lives.  These girls were able to do things they never would have been able to do because of the military stationed there.  I guess I hadn't thought of it that way because I was angry too.  Angry that so many lives were lost in a country that didn't seem to want to change and it seemed a complete waste of time, money and lives lost.  These women made me see a different side, how we did do good and changed lives.  

I don't know if there are enough people in Afghanistan who are willing to stand up to the Taliban but there are people who's lives were changed because of our military. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life sucks!

 So Jon goes to this church weekend thing and comes back an rah rah rah and life is great and why can't we all just be happy and it make...